The Community and the Opportunity
Sakya Monastery of Tibetan Buddhism is a spiritual community and cultural center led by renowned lamas from Tibet. It is dedicated to the realization and practice of wisdom, loving-kindness, and compassion, in order to nurture and bring happiness to all beings. Sakya Monastery has several resident monks, but the sangha (community) is largely composed of lay members. They actively embrace patience, kindness, generosity, and peace in their lives.
As a lay member, you enjoy the rare and extraordinary privilege of studying and practicing Tibetan Buddhism directly under the guidance of lamas who were trained in traditional Tibet before the Chinese occupation (1959).
Here are ways that people new to Sakya Monastery can get involved:
- Attend one of our Virupa Ecumenical Institute (VEI) classes (See VEI Events Catalog)
- Attend the monthly Orientation – this presentation answers the most frequently asked questions about Sakya Monastery and its spiritual practices.
- Attend the 8:30 am Sunday morning introductory class and the 10:00 am Chenrezi service – open to the public. As we occasionally have special events, please check our calendar for the current schedule.
- Attend the 7:00pm Friday evening calm abiding meditation. Free and open to the public.
- Join us 9:30 am every Saturday to help with projects around the Monastery.
- Become a Member
Tax-deductible donations can be sent to:
Sakya Monastery of Tibet Buddhism
Attn: Gillian Teichert
108 NW 83rd Street
Seattle, WA 98117 USA
Or call the Monastery at (206) 789-2573 and arrange a time to meet with Gillian Teichert (Treasurer) or Adrienne Chan (Executive Director).